Sunday, May 30, 2010

A Bandanna Message

I can't imagine...what it must feel like to have AIDS.

It's time to wake up. It's time to ride my bike. It's 4:30 am, and I have to get out of my warm bed and go out into the cold air. As I feel the first sign of sweat running down my face into my eyes, down my legs, and onto my bike,

I can't imagine...what it must feel like to have AIDS.

I've gone about 50 miles, my muscles are burning, the heat from the sun is intense, my face is on fire, and I can't push myself into another gear, I think to myself,

I can't imagine...what it must feel like to have AIDS.

When each hill gets longer, harder, steeper to climb, and i feel I can't make it over another hill, I say to myself,

I can't imagine...what it must feel like to have AIDS.

When I've just had it for the day, 65 miles have passed, I've stopped to fix another flat tire, I am tired, hungry, and I don't know why I've committed to this ride, I think to myself,

I can't imagine...what it must feel like to have AIDS.

When it's cold, windy, and it starts to rain, and I bitch about how dirty my bike will get, DAMN! I've fallen (new clipless pedals), now my new jersey is dirty as well. When is this day going to end? And then that thought pops into my head again,

I can't imagine...what it must feel like to have AIDS.

My hands and feet are numb, my legs feel like Jello-O. My back and neck burn with the aches and pains of being on my saddle too long, this rash is uncomfortable, and now I think I am going to go crazy. What am I going to do? I've lost my focus...and then that thought occurs to me,

I can't imagine...what it must feel like to have AIDS.

I've ridden 75 miles, I have 25 more miles to go, and I don't know if I can make it. Each breath and pedal stroke that I take gets harder and harder, my body says no, I can pedal no longer, but a thought crosses my mind....

I know deep down in my heart that there is this inner strength that flows through my body. It comes from my family, it comes from my friends, and it comes from the Men, Women and Children who are living and dying from AIDS related diseases. 

The reality is clear, I can see now, there are No Hills, No Hot Sun, No Wind, No Cold Rain, No Burning Muscles, No Body Aches or Pains that will hold me back from keeping the Faith and Commitment to myself and others. I will continue to ride mile after mile, I will continue to ride hill after hill.

For I do not know what it must feel like... to have AIDS.

Source: this was written by Doreen, one of the veteran riders who has been doing the AIDS Lifecycle or the past 17 years. She put it on a bandanna and she sells it as a fundraising tool. I bought one from her because the message resonated with me. This ride is going to be HARD, but there is purpose behind it, and if I can remember that, I will be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment