Sunday, May 30, 2010

The Burbank "B"

I am writing this a couple of weeks after the fact, but wanted to document the experience nonetheless.

On Saturday, Ryan and rode from the apartment up the LA River to Burbank. Once there we started up the hill towards our destination...the ultimate canyon road.  Ryan had been there once before and assured me it was beautiful and worth the ride.

Please note: I am wearing my new ladies shorts for the first time in this picture. Yes, i have a HORRIBLE tan line, and I assume I will have many more before this ride is over.

I made him stop sooo many more times than he wanted to as it was all uphill from that point on, but we finally got half way there and saw an amazing LDS Church. It was Spanish-style architecture and beautiful. Just down the street there was a monument tht explained it use to be a country club, but was bought by the Church when a new one was erected. This is a picture of the archway up the remainder of the canyon. I agreed with Ryan that it was a beautiful entrance to HELL which was to be the remainder of the ride. 

The next few miles were part of a peaceful, switchback canyon road. It really felt like another world. The homes were all very unique and eclectic (especially the one dubbed the "crayon house" due to the colors of the shingles) and with the foliage, it felt a lot like Utah. It was really beautiful.

Please note: it took me about as long to get up this canyon as it had to do the entirety of the rest of the ride. I swear, Ryan's patience was really tested on this particular ride. I AM SLOW! lol. I am sooo, slow... I think at one point I threated his life if we ultimately hit the Burbank "B" on the mountian, which was not too far away.

Here is a picture of me at the end. My nostrils are flared from lack of oxygen. Ryan says it was the anger...either way...I finally hit The End of the road.   

This is one route I am going to have to try again. It was beautiful, challenging, 35 miles and 1144 calories burned. A really great day!



No comments:

Post a Comment