Sunday, May 30, 2010

Last "official" training ride

Today I got up and did my last official training ride with the "Chain Gang" at Griffith Park. We took it pretty easy and did just a 24 mile ride and then they presented a packing demonstration. This was my first ride in two weeks after being sick. It sort of hurt my lungs and sinus and I felt the lack of riding.  However, a couple of things I realized about myself on this ride:
  • I need at least 10 miles to get warmed up and for my muscles to relax and get into the groove of the ride.
  • I am SLOW. I really am slow, so I am going to have to watch my time on the ride. I am be no means the slowest, but neither am I in the lead. I am securely in the middle.
  • I do much better when I am behind someone so I can match my cadence to theirs. I don't like to be in the lead.
  • I am horrible at navigating and using those vague route maps. Refer to the insight above...I do much better when behind someone.
  • My brain holds me back more than my body. I freak out when I see hills, but when I let go and just keep pedaling I do okay.
  • I have adopted the mantra "ENJOY THE SCENERY" which is advice from Ryan. I have a tendency to watch the road instead of looking up, and that is no way to see California.
This was a good ride, although it made me feel fully unprepared. It was the last time I will be on the bike with other ALC riders until next Sunday. It was good to be with friends. It was incredibly sunny and hot that day. I got a bit sunburned which is good as the tan lines from my shorts evened out a bit.

The packing demonstration was especially helpful and we had some good laughs as veterans talked about their past experiences. The most shocking moment (to me) was when he advised us NOT to bring underwear. LOL. Said it takes up too much room and we need to allow ourselves to "air out". It is a great group of people I will be traveling with. Although I never feel quite ready, it is time for the training to end and the ride to begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment